The Stranniki (Russian for Runaways or Wanderers) are the strong Pomorsky Old Believers who rejected prayers for Tsar Peter and all government papers (identification, passports, money, etc). They would not wear clothing contrary to Old Orthodox Russia, nor eat with those of contrary Faith and Practice. Keeping themselves separate from the antichrist society they went far into the Siberian wilderness. This blog is about these people and my effort to conform my life to theirs.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

An American Woman Wanderer

The link below is to a one hour film documentary about a woman in America who was a moneyless wanderer and walked tens of thousands of miles. The film begins with her telling of herself, “I am a pilgrim, a wanderer.”

I would just mention a few more points.

She took a vow to walk penniless until mankind had learned peace.

"This is a real pilgrimage...on foot, I do not hitchhike, I walk in spite of all the rides that are offered...I took a vow at the beginning that I would remain a wanderer until mankind has learned the way of peace. Walking until I am given shelter, and fasting until I am given food, and though I have never asked for anything, I can truthfully say that I have been supplied.”

She called herself, “Peace Pilgrim.”

Her message was not new, Overcome evil with good, and falsehood with truth, and hatred with love.

She went on to say, “I took my vow of simplicity. I shall not accept more than I need...the need level for a pilgrim is about rock bottom.”

She was married, her husband divorced her. Her husband was drafted into the military and told him that as long as he was in the Service, she would not go to visit him and would not have anything to do with him.

I am certain that the interpretation she takes on certian ideas are different than the Old Russian Stranniki, but she certainly did many things right that most people today do not bother with at all.

Another comment of hers was this, “...if I am killed, it destroys merely the body, which is transient anyway.”

She died when riding in a car, going to a church. Another car crossed the line and hit head on, killing both her and her driver. She died on the road.

“PEACE PILGRIM” video
http://www.peacepilgrim.org/htmfiles/sagevideo.htm

And the Wikipedia article here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_Pilgrim